Home ] Enchanted Towy ] The Black Mountain ] The River Teifi ] Accommodation ] Activities ] Food ] Nearby Attractions ]

Cardigan ] Cenarth ] Cilgerran Castle ] Lampeter ] Lechryd ] Llanddewi Brefi ] Llandysul ] [ Llanfair Clydogau ] Llanfiangel ar Arth ] Llanybydder ] Maesycrugiau ] Map of the Teifi ] Newcastle Emlyn ] Pontrhydfendigaid ] St Dogmael ] Strata Florida ] Teifi Valley History ] Teifi Valley Railway ] Tregaron ]

Llanfair Clydogau

South of Tregaron, Llanfair Clydogau is a small peaceful village set in beautiful countryside on either side of the Teifi. The bridge was used by Fenton on his tour of 1804. The village was once more industrial. In 1833, the population was 385 and Samuel Lewis wrote of the local mine:

"A valuable mine of lead-ore, containing a considerable proportion of silver, and in which also are found quartz, spar, and a small quantity of copper-ore, has been worked for the last twenty years with considerable success, though in dry seasons during that period the works have been frequently suspended from want of water sufficient to give motion to the machinery employed: these works are at present carried on at a depth of two hundred and fifty feet below the surface, and offer sufficient encouragement for the continuance of the operations : the average produce of this mine, which is the property of Lord Carrington, is twenty-five tons of ore per annum, each ton of which contains upon an average from seventy-five to eighty ounces of pure silver."

Top of Page

Site and Photographs Geoffrey Davies 2008-10  Contact info@enchantedtowy.co.uk