Llandybie is a village at the Western base of the Black Mountain. The name means Church of St Tybie, an early martyr and daughter of Brychan Brycheiniog who established the church at Llandybie in her memory. (Brychan was an early Welsh King of Brychainiog -Brecon- though he was born in Ireland. He married three times and had at least 8 sons and 24 daughters.) It is believed that Tybie lived in a religious house near Llandybie and was killed by rebels opposed to her father.
The original wooden Celtic church has long since disappeared but St Tybie's Church today dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. The clock was added in 1920 as a war memorial.
The village has a station on the Heart of Wales Line and the River Marlais flows through the village.
The area around Llandybie was rich in coal and limestone and remains of quarrying can be seen on the road to Llandeilo. There was a small woollen factory and five mills grinding corn, but today the village relies on industrial estates on the outskirts.
Top of Page
Site and Photographs © Geoffrey Davies 2008-10 Contact firstname.lastname@example.org