The Towy is famed for its salmon and sea trout fishing. details of private fishing and clubs are given on the River Towy Fishing and Fishing in Red Kite Country websites.
The quiet roads make cycling an ideal activity for the Towy valley. For those wanting a leisurely ride the valley floor offers gentle hills South of Rhandirmwyn, while the higher reaches of the river and the mountains offer more of a challenge. There is plenty of opportunity for mountain bike riding in the forests. For more information visit the Carmarthenshire cycling page, Brechfa Forest and Crychan Forest websites.
The Towy Valley is ideal walking country, whether it is a gentle stroll along the river or more energetic hill and mountain walking or just climbing to the castles or lakes like Llyn y Fan Fach. Carmarthenshire County Council provide downloadable maps from their website. while further information can be obtained about walking in Crychan Forest and Brechfa Forest.
Details of Courses (PDF file)
Bird life is plentiful in the valley, but there is an RSPB bird reserve at Ystradffin near Llyn Brianne, a feeding station for Red Kites at Llanddeusant and further afield there is The National Wetland Centre near Llanelli. See also Crychan Forest
• Llanymddyfri Forest District.• Caio Forest - Open Access for horse riders but keep off picnic sites. • Talley Woods. • Coed y Cwmoedd Forest District. • Brechfa Forest - open access for horse riders along forest roads between Llanybydder and Llansawel. • Crychan Forest Way - marked trails from 5 - 25 miles www.crychanforest.org.uk
• Horse Riding in the Brecon Beacons www.horseridingbreconbeacons.com
• Pendine - no restrictions except when MOD section of Pendine beach is operational.
• Pembrey (permitted through Wales Horseback Adventures) 01554 832160.
• Marros - no restrictions except when MOD section of Pendine beach is operational.• Laugharne - no restrictions except when MOD section of Pendine beach is operational. • Pembrey - Cefn Sidan Beach - access via Wales Horse back Adventures inside Park. Look for 'horses for the beach' signs at beach access point F (at the end of the byway outside the Park) where riders will be permitted to turn left towards Burry Port to the South East not between F and A. All other riders require public liability cover. 01554 832160.
Cae Iago - Llanwrda 01558 650303 www.caeiago.co.uk
• Hills Farm Riding Centre - Laugharne 01994 427375 www.hillsfarmridingholidays.co.uk
• Wales Horseback Adventures, Pembrey Country Park - Llanelli 01554 832160
• Palecwrt Equestrian Centre - Llandeilo 01558 823521 www.gunsandhorses.co.uk
• Five Saints Riding & Trekking Centre - Pumsaint 01558 650580 www.fivesaints.com
The first National Hunt racecourse to be built in Britain for eighty years opened in 2009 at Ffos Las near Trimsaran not far from Kidwelly. Eight National Hunt and four flat racing meetings are planned annually.
Top of Page
Site and Photographs © Geoffrey Davies 2008-10 Contact firstname.lastname@example.org